Most people think of Halloween as the day of costumes, but there are other occasions to wear a costume. Mardi Gras (also known as Carnival), costume parties, at theater events, parades and fairs. You can even wear costumes for a little naughty bedroom play!
With all these places to wear costumes, which are available and appropriate for each type? Here is a list costumes you may not have known are available for adults and kids alike. The cutest costumes have to be the baby styles!
1. Ariel, Disney’s The Little Mermaid. – You can find this costume many places on the Internet. The adult forms come in two different types, sexy (shows more skin) and regular (closer to the “Disney” version.) The kids costume comes in Disney style and or sometimes just a regular mermaid (for licensing reasons, most likely). Wigs are usually purchased separately so be sure to read the box or product description. This costume is really unusual because, while immediately recognizable, it’s not worn very much anymore, and since most adults do not know it is available in their size, well you can be the only one wearing it.
2. Cinderella, Disney – This is also available in both sexy and normal adult and also in, of course, kids, in the traditional Disney style (blue dress with puffy short sleeves). What a great way to enter a party in a short little Cinderella dress. You can find glass slippers (made of plastic), or buy some Jellies (clear rubber shoes) and decorate them with maybe some faux pearls and pieces from a white boa. A white ribbon around the hair completes the ensemble and then you’re ready to meet your prince. Which brings me to my next costume
3. Alice in Wonderland – This is one of my favorites and is available in all sizes, and styles for women and girls. It’s extremely cute. Be sure to purchase the petticoat and stockings, as often times it is not sold as part of the costume set. Available in sexy adult style too.
4. Tinkerbell, and Other Fairy Styles – Tinkerbell was my favorite character when I was a kid. As I got older I began to appreciate other pixie style characters as well, but there’s a special place in my heart for Tink. Sassy adult versions are available for adults. Most require stockings (try and find green ones) and you can make a little bag and fill it with glitter for your pixie dust. The baby form of this costume has to be the cutest thing on earth.
5. Prince Charming – While a great costume for adults, most boy children probably won’t recognize or be interested in this costume. Stick to the adult version and have your mate or date dress up as any Fairy Tale princess.
6. Prince Valiant. The whole ensemble comes with this outfit; tabard, sword and helmet (at least the good versions ). Boys will love being a knight, and women will love their adult knights in shining armor. Check what needs to be purchased separately, not all costumes come with every piece.
7. Princess Leia – You may be familiar with the Leia costume in the bikini. But did you know they make a baby costume for girls in the white dress, with a wig?
8. Hellboy – There are versions of this costume for boys and men. With the release of Hellboy 2, the popularity of this costume has gone up, but still most people won’t think of this non-traditional costume.
9. Dumb and Dumber – These costumes are easy to make yourself. Slicked back hair and some funny antics will carry the rest.
10. Napolean Dynomite – An easy costume to make, jeans, 70s style t-shirt, wig and glasses. Learn his dance moves and you’ll have everyone roaring at the next costume event.